Saturday, September 25, 2010

Am I Likeable??

I found this article to be very interesting. The topic of likeability was something I never really thought about in reference to “corporate America.” I am a firm believer that kindness will get you a lot further than “unlikeable behavior.” Bruna Martinuzzi discusses the importance of having a genuine likeable attitude in the work environment to show how far you can go if you are liked by your peers. I feel that this is an excellent article for young professionals to read because it helps them to realize that by having a more humble and likeable attitude you can progress within an organization.
Likeability has worked in my favor a lot! One specific example comes to mind when I think about my last internship. When I began my internship I had a manager who I really got along with. We achieved all the goals that we had for the semester and even managed to top the previous year numbers. She left the company and I was assigned a new manager. My relationship with her was strained to say the least. The relationship got to the point where she was trying her hardest to set me up to be fired. Because of my likeability and my reputation with everyone else in the office including my general manager I was able to keep my job and on board for another semester.
Out of the four elements that have been listed I would say that “empathy,” would have to be the one I would have to work on. Sometimes I can come off as a person that is not caring. After, reading this article I do realize that being empathetic can increase your likeability. Before reading this article I viewed myself as a very likeable person. After reading I see that there are areas that I need to work on in order to increase my likeliness within an organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment